Sunday, July 10, 2005

4:B


Well, no, not really, but that looks good up there....

Saw Fantastic 4 yesterday -- pay no attention to those reviewers who say it stinks, which is apparently most of them -- this movie was a lot of fun, even with the (largely cosmetic) changes to the original origin story: just a straightahead, funny, popcorn summer movie. Not as good as Batman Begins, Spiderman or X2, perhaps, but right up there with Hellboy and Daredevil, which I actually liked quite a bit. Only weak spots were a couple of FX shots (mostly Reed stretching), and Jessica Alba's acting ability (but who cares, right?).

I liked the fact that everybody yelled at each other, even in public, like a real family. It had the feel of the comic books, which I've been reading since I was about twelve. The 14-year-old with me loved it. Chiklis is born to play the thing (he looks great in it, by the way) and the guy who plays Johnny Storm steals the show. Great fun.

I think reviewers are getting tired of superhero movies, or their background in comic books is lacking. I'm not sure anymore what they expect when they go and sit down to watch one. Of course, a movie fan should be able to sit down and watch a superhero movie with no knowledge of the source material and enjoy it, but I am beginning to think a lot of reviewers go in to the film expecting to hate it....maybe they do that with all movies. I'll admit I went in with low expectations, but I try to do that with every movie -- however I always hope or expect to like what I am going to see on some level....maybe that's just semantics.

I give it a B, Chi-chi. Congratulations to all the players... and bring on the sequel (Galactus?)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the matter with you, you crazy little man?!!!!!!!

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home