Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Link Notes

A quick follow up on one of the links I listed below -- I've been poking around on www.archive.org, which is all free and public domain material, and there is an extensive library of what might be considered live bootleg material for download. Most of the bands listed I am not familiar with, but there is a large amount from people like Camper Van Beethoven, the Grateful Dead, and the like, who say go ahead and use it, just dont sell it. I am even as I type downloading bits and pieces of a Warren Zevon show from the Main Point in Bryn Mawr, PA, from 1976, just as Warren's eponymous album (and one of the best albums ever, in my opinion) was hitting. There's a lot of other material there, going back decades -- you may just wish to check it out.

Another link down there is for the Book Thing of Baltimore. If there is a heaven on earth, to me the Book Thing may well be it. There's more detail on the website, but essentially the BT is a place where they give away books for free. They have a huge building full of donated books in dozens of categories and all you have to do is come take what you want. I have repopulated my library over the past two years with many many books I had sold off years ago and now have them again. I am literally astounded by what I have found there -- my greatest experience is finding both volumes of William Manchester's bio of Churchill, The Last Lion, in hard cover with their dust jackets -- in the store this would run you $100. I got them free. It's one of the great non-profit stories of all time and you would do well to check out the site -- and check out their new digs in Charm City if you're ever out here in the Mid-Atlantic.

Peace. More soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home