Wednesday, July 20, 2005

When Johnny Strikes Up The Band....


As I mentioned recently on another post, the very cool website www.archive.org has a huge selection of bootleg live music -- all from artists who apparently dont mind when their fans record live shows, as long as they pay for the stuff they are supposed to pay for. Many of the bands listed I have never heard of, but there are those that are relatively well known, including Camper Van Beethoven, Billy Corrigan's Zwan, Warren Zevon, and a little outfit named the Grateful Dead (more than 2800 files for the Dead, actually).

I plan to plumb the depths of this incredible resource as time goes on, but started with Mr. Z, happy to discover that I can actually procure live versions of many many Warren classics that I do not currently have overpopulating my Ipod. I have already taken many tracks from a live show done for WMMR at the Main Point just up the road here in Bryn Mawr back in 1976. Warren is funny, loose, at top form, and obviously having fun. He's pushing his eponymous album, so many of the songs are from that. If you never got a chance to see Warren live -- and I thankfully did, see the above ticket -- this is a great opportunity. So far the sound quality is excellent. More as I download more.

Coming soon: the fine members of The Bronze Episode sent me a free four-song sampler in the mail and I will review as soon as possible. Thanks guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home