Sunday, December 18, 2005

KONG SAY SEE MOVIE NOW

Yesterday I was in Best Buy and they were selling a dual pack of DVD's of the old Japanese King Kong movies from the '60's -- King Kong vs. Godzilla and King Kong Returns, for twenty bucks. I was sorely tempted by both but held off. I love both movies from when I was a kid but it just didnt seem like the thing to do.

So today I took that twenty bucks and went to see Peter Jackson's new King Kong. Let me tell you, I am very glad I saved my money. I will echo all the other critics and tell you that King Kong gives the kind of fun, thrills, and jawdropping wonder that got me to learn to love movies in the first place. Jackson has taken his eye for grandeur and scope and coupled it with that amazing imagination that allows him to put all this together somehow in his head and make it come out on screen and produce and absolute and total classic. The cast is great -- Jack Black finds his way admirably as the showman Carl Denham and Naomi Watts does an almost-wordless performance making friends with the big monkey that makes you forget (or be totally amazed) that she probably did the whole thing in front of a green screen while looking at a stuffed gorrilla doll on a stick.

But the real star here is Kong himself, amazingly performed by the best unknown famous actor in the world, Andy Serkis, who gives Kong a humanity and a pathos that would not be there if they had "just" computer generated him. Every look, every roar, every glance conveys character because Mr. S is inside looking out. Someday he's going to get a part that allows him to show the same complexity he's brought to Smeagol and Kong and then he'll get his deserved Oscar.

So to sum up:

1) DO NOT wait for this to come out on DVD - this is a movie made for the movie theater, and it will not translate especially well to the tube.

2) Brontosaurus stampede. (!!!!)

3) Kong fights three (3) T-Rex's. At once. This sequence will leave you breathless.

4) Empire State Building sequence heart wrenching and brilliant.

5) You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll feel your nine-to-twelve bucks was well spent.

6) Did I say "brontosaurus stampede"????

GO. NOW. Drop everything. See the best movie of the year. Please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home